Monday, April 5, 2010

New times

We had an exciting Friday evening last week. My mom had a show opening at Davis and Cline Gallery, and everything went very well. It was overwhelming and humbling for me to see my mom's work on the walls. I love her paintings, and I'm very proud of her.
So many people came to the gallery during the three-hour First Friday Art Walk. I had fun talking with friends and strangers alike about the new pieces.
In the show, my mom included a few of her traditional pieces, the ones people usually associate with my mom's name, Jhenna Quinn Lewis, like simple compositions of one or two objects on a table with a dark, or moody background. The gallery owner, John Davis, gave us a cool phrase to use to describe my mom's dark backgrounds when he praised her for her skill at creating "complex black" backgrounds.
My mom's newer works are trompe l'oeils (a French phrase meaning "to deceive, or trick, the eye" and is pronounced in English like tr-ahm-ploy). To read more about the pieces in this show, there's a short essay written by my dad, which we used as the introduction to a Blurb book we put together (click here to preview the book and read the essay), and an article by Vickie Aldous printed in the Ashland Daily Tidings (click here to read the article).

No comments:

Post a Comment